Approximately 21 million women and 35 million men suffer from hair loss. This is according to a survey conducted by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.
Because of this, plant-based oils like coconut oil, flaxseed oil, and avocado oil have gained popularity. This is because they contain healthy fats that may help support hair growth.
But did you know that pumpkin seed oil can also help improve hair count amongst people suffering from hair loss? If you didn’t, now you know. This oil is rich in minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and other nutrients.
Below, we’ll take a look at the best pumpkin seed oil hair and how they work to promote hair growth.
How Does Pumpkin Seed Oil (PSO) Work?
Pumpkin seed oil is produced by roasting the seeds and then pressing them to extract the oil. Besides being a delicious edible plant, its oil is recognized for a wide range of health benefits.
This is because it has an abundance of fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, and potent antioxidant properties (1).
However, one of the most popular thing about this oil is that it may help treat hair loss. But the question remains, does it even work?
Well, there are many scientific theories out there that suggest how pumpkin seed oil may help promote hair growth.
In a 2014 study (2), male patients with mild to moderate androgenetic alopecia reported an increase in hair count by 40%. This was after using 400 mg of PSO for 24 weeks.
According to this study, pumpkin seed oil was shown to block the action of 5-alpha reductase. And if you didn’t know, this is one of the major causes of male pattern baldness.
You see, this oil is extremely rich in phytosterol beta-sitosterol. And as it turns out, this compound has been shown to help block the 5-alpha reductase enzyme. This prevents testosterone from being broken down to DHT, thereby preventing male androgenic alopecia.
Another study published on ResearchGate (3), suggested that topical application of PSO may promote hair growth. However, this research was done on mice and not humans.
The good news? According to the researchers, the oil of pumpkin seed appears to be a promising alternative for the treatment of male pattern alopecia (4).
Top 5 Rated Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair Brands?
Pumpkin seed oil is available in the form of oil gel capsules or as a topical treatment. You can also take the oil orally. That said, below are the 5 best organic pumpkin seed oil brands:
- Botanical Beauty Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil
- US Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil
- La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil
- NOW Supplements 1000 mg Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Carlyle 2000 mg Pumpkin Seed Oil
1. Botanical Beauty Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil
Botanical Beauty is an Australian brand that claims to make organic and natural beauty products. Apparently, they use cutting-edge formulas that are based on science to develop superior products.
And when it comes to their pumpkin seed oil, it’s 100% pure and natural. The best part? Their oil is unrefined and undiluted. As such, it is very rich in vitamins, fatty acids, iron, enzymes, and zinc.
On the flip side, while it’s all-natural, it does not come with USDA certification.
- Easy to apply directly on your scalp using the dropper
- Pressed from non-genetically and fresh modified pumpkin seeds
- Free from additives or solvents
- Work well as a skin and hair moisturizer
- A bit pricey
2. US Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil
Manufactured in a clean, USDA, and GMP certified facility, this pumpkin oil is made to be 100% pure and certified organic. On top of that, it is produced by a company that prides itself on manufacturing only the highest quality products.
Like most oils, it’s available as a topical product. And for ease of application, it comes with a dropper to help prevent spillage while applying on the hair.
The downside is that it is a little bit pricey. But compared to Botanical Beauty pumpkin seed oil, it is a bit affordable.
- Has no parabens, fillers, fragrance, additives or chemicals
- Comes with an organic certificate
- Made in the USA and in an FDA-registered facility
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals
- The manufacturer does not have a friendly return policy
- Some people find it to be too thick and greasy
3. La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil
La Tourangelle is a family-owned brand that prides itself on producing natural products like organic oils and artisan nut oils. All of their products are made locally in both California and France using the best quality ingredients and traditional practices.
As far as their pumpkin oil is concerned, it is handcrafted and then roasted to perfection to ensure superior quality. Best of all, it is sodium-free, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly.
However, it may contain trace amounts of peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame seeds. So, if you’re allergic to nuts, you might want to try the other oils.
- Organic and Non-GMO verified
- Very affordable compared to the other products
- Has a rich nutty taste which makes it best for salad dressings
- Beautiful packaging that is BPA-free
- Lacks USDA certification
- Has a messy dispense mechanism
4. NOW Supplements 1000 mg Pumpkin Seed Oil
NOW Foods is a leader in the natural products industry. They have a wide range of products like essential oils, vitamins, beauty products, supplements, and more.
When it comes to their pumpkin seed oil, it’s derived from the best quality and Non-GMO pumpkin seeds. And to ensure its potency, the oil is cold-pressed without the use of solvents and then lab tested for stability and purity.
But here is the best part; the oil is available in the form of easy-to-swallow soft gels that are convenient to take from anywhere.
- Made without soy, dairy, egg, gluten, and hexane
- GMP quality assured and NPA A-rated
- Contains 1000 mg of pumpkin seed oil per serving making it potent
- Non-GMO, halal, and kosher-friendly
- There is no evidence that it’s 100% organic or USDA certified
- Some people find these pumpkin seed oil capsules a bit big to swallow
5. Carlyle 2000 mg Pumpkin Seed Oil
Carlyle has been in the natural products industry for over 40 years. They claim to produce only premium products that meet the highest quality standards. Best of all, all of their products are lab tested for quality and packaged in the USA.
Made in an FDA registered and GMP certified facility, their pumpkin seed oil is available in soft gel capsules. The best part? The soft gels contain 2000 mg of pumpkin seed oil per serving. As such, they are very potent.
- Free of common allergens like gluten, yeast, wheat, milk, and lactose
- Backed by 90-days money-back guarantee
- The pills are pretty easy to swallow
- The pumpkin seed oil capsules are gelatin
- For adult men only
Frequently Asked Questions
Still not sure if pumpkin seed oil is best for your hair? Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions about this oil.
How many mg of the pumpkin seed oil hair is recommended to take daily?
Answer: The typical dosage is around 1000 mg per capsule. Generally, most manufacturers recommend taking 1 or 2 pumpkin seed oil capsules.
Does pumpkin seed oil block DHT?
Answer: According to one study, this oil is believed to effective at blocking DHT, thereby promoting hair growth.
Is pumpkin seed oil hair safe to take?
Answer: Yes, it is as it is unsaturated fat. This means that it’s the “good” kind of fat. Besides, most brands manufacture 100% natural and pure pumpkin seed oil.
What’s the best way to use pumpkin seed oil?
A: You can choose to use it as a topical oil, soft gel capsules, or simply take the oil straight. It all depends on what you find convenient for you.
So, is it a good idea to use pumpkin seed oil for hair growth? Well, since it’s a natural product, it won’t hurt to try this oil, especially if you’re experiencing hair fall out or thinning. However, more research is still needed to confirm its effectiveness in treating hair loss.